Threat: Negative impacts on native intertidal communities
- a robust perennial grass with shoots that can reach 1.3 m in height.
- spread vegetatively and by seed
- colonises sheltered mudflats at a tidal level below normal salt marsh vegetation
- produces dense monoswards
- monoswards reduce water movement and increase sedimentation, causing marsh levels to rise and preventing other species from establishing.
- reduces biodiversity
- dense monoswards on mudflats reduce the food resources available for wildfowl and wading birds