This licence can be purchased by anglers under 18 years of age.
ROD LICENCE AND FISHING PERMIT
A rod licence is required to fish on rivers and lakes (known locally as ‘loughs’) in the Loughs Agency areas. This applies equally to those fishing for trout, coarse fish and salmon.
In addition to a rod licence, it is a requirement to hold a permit to fish on many stretches of river and on many of the lakes in the Foyle and Carlingford systems. These are often sold locally - at license distributors, tackle shops, and even the occasional rural hardware store and grocery shop! As an indication of affordability a typical day permit costs in the region of £10.
Please note that only 1 game licence can be issued to an individual. It is illegal, unless authority is given in writing by the Agency, for any person to have more than 1 licence of a particular description.
CONDITIONS OF ISSUE
1. Licence holders are required by law to tag all wild salmon caught and retained, immediately on landing the fish. Licence holders are required by law to tag all sea trout over 40cm in length caught and retained, immediately on landing the fish. All salmon (and all sea trout over 40cm in length) retained shall be tagged with an appropriate gill tag (blue gill tags during the period 1st March to 31st May, both dates inclusive, black gill tags from 1st June to the end of the season). No salmon, sea trout, or brown trout of less than 25.4cm (10 Inches) may be retained.
2. A bag limit of 4 brown trout, or sea trout of 40cm or less in length, or a combination of both on any one day during the period 1st March to 31st October, both dates inclusive. These limits apply to all waters in the Foyle and Carlingford catchments, and may be subject to amendment during the season. (See below for river specific season dates).
3. It is prohibited to kill eels and coarse fish (except Pike to which a bag limit applies).
4. Possession of this licence confers no right of fishing in any place whatsoever which the holder does not enjoy in Law. The Commission reserves the right to suspend, by regulation, fishing for any period necessary for the conservation of stocks. Anglers should ascertain whether any suspension is in force before fishing any particular river.
5. PRAWN, SHRIMP and LIVE FISH are prohibited bait in the Foyle and Carlingford areas.
6. THE LAW REQUIRES THAT YOU SHALL FURNISH A RETURN OF CATCHES OF SALMON AND SEA TROUT to the Loughs Agency at 22 Victoria Road Londonderry with 21 days of the end of the period to which this licence relates, along with all unused tags issued to this licence. The logbook included on this licence should be used for this purpose. If no fish are caught a Nil return should be made.
7. THE LAW REQUIRES THAT YOU PRODUCE THIS LICENCE ON DEMAND TO ANY FISHERY OFFICER OR TO ANY MEMBER OF THE POLICE.